Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sunless Tanners and Mascara and Bathing Suits

I never skip Church unless I am on holiday or sick.  This may appear to be very holy of me but not really - I am the pastor to children & families so its my job.  Back home everything is proceeding smoothly without me.  At least I hope it is.  It made me start thinking how indeed life goes on in spite of disruptions, sadness, circumstances.  The world does not stop for anything or anybody and our job as humans is to keep on ticking right through all the crap the world deals out to us.  There is always a tomorrow.  I like that because it means we get second chances.

This morning I am attending Bedside Baptist.  I am visiting with my Dad and stepmom Heather for a few days before I am embark on my epic trip to Hawaii with 6 friends from my Prince George days.  All I really did was purchase my plane ticket and left everything else up to my PG peeps.  In other words, I have no idea what I am going to be doing on this week long holiday.  I have to just trust and go along for the ride. 

I did overpack my suitcase.  3 lbs over to be exact.  I gave them my sad face and charming smile and Westjet waved me through.  I think Ian would have taken half my stuff out but a girl has to be prepared you know.   He kept saying why do you need 5 pairs of shoes?  And why do you need 5 books?  When you go on  holiday you are supposed to be doing stuff not reading books!!  I patiently tried to explain it to him but he kept rolling his eyeballs at me.  You see I have my running shoes for hiking, my flip flops for the pool/beach, my dressier flip flops for going out somewhere nice (apparently I am on a budget so I asked Ian what that was and he said my budget was to spend nothing - such a silly goose he is), my Jesus sandals - what pastor would leave home without those?   And a pair of my favourite sneakers.    I am glad I didn't tell him about the water shoes.

I am fair skinned and freckly and I am at that age where I have to look after my skin so I decided I might use a sunless tanning lotion to give me a tropical glow so I googled what the best kind was to use, went to the drugstore and purchased the insanely expensive goop and then when I arrived at my Dad's I tried it out!  It looked very dark so I decided just to put it on my lower legs for a test.  Lets just say I am grumpy.  My legs do not look a golden bronze color at all, they are rather orange like and the one spot where I obviously didn't rub it in looks like a giant birth mark.  Oh lets get real, it looks like someone didn't rub their sunless tanning lotion in properly.  It has faded considerably so by tomorrow it will be gone right?

I also bought waterproof mascara because I didn't want the regular stuff to run dowm my face making me look like a raccoon.  I have tried it on but for the life of me can't figure how to get it off.  Maybe it just wears off over time.  I know what Ian would say!  Why do you even need to wear that stuff anyways?  Anyway, I said to him what are we going to do if some guys try to pick us up because we are without our menfolk.  Without missing a beat he quips back "Good luck with that!"  Whatttttt?  Lise, they are looking for younger ladies not a bunch of Grandma types.  I had to laugh because he is so right, at least he is about me .......

You see Erica, my every so tiny 16 year old was with me as I tried to find a new bathing suit.  We went to this rack and I pulled one off that I thought was suitable.  I asked her what she thought and she said it would be nice if I was going to a swim meet.  She says I should try a tankini.  I am concerned my muffin top will show but I'll humour her.  Erica assures me that will not be the case.  I take 3 tops into the changing room and hysterical hyenia laughter starts erupting from within my being.  Erica is telling to me to shhhhh or maybe she was asking me whats wrong or maybe she was just sitting there texting while ignoring me.

I am not a particularly large human being and everything the Good Lord endowed me with was hanging out and over.  I show Erica, she smirks, at least I think its a smirk I see.  Little skinny twirp.  I used to look like you once upon a time, just a taller version because she is only 5' 3" to my 5' 8".   I proclaim that these tankinis are improper for me to wear.  You might as well go naked for all that thing covered.  Maybe I'll find a bathing suit in Hawaii ........ a nice proper suit.  I'll let Erica wear the bikini - tankini suits :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment